September 22, 2016 | Press Release
JIM HAGEDORN RELEASES DEBATE PROPOSAL
- Encourages Walz to Accept Debates Across the Entire First District -
BLUE EARTH — Jim Hagedorn, the Republican candidate for congress in Minnesota’s First District, today proposed a series of nine debates and forums with incumbent Democrat Congressman Tim Walz prior to the November 8 election. The proposal includes both radio and TV options in multiple locations throughout all regions of the First District.
“I strongly encourage Congressman Walz to join me at each of these debate opportunities to allow voters in the First District to learn our positions on the key domestic and foreign policy issues facing southern Minnesota and our country,” Hagedorn said.
In addition to two debates and one brief forum that both candidates have accepted, Hagedorn is proposing six more before the election. Hagedorn has already accepted invitations to the additional debates, all of which have been proposed to the congressional campaigns by outside organizations. Three would be televised and three would be hosted by radio stations with broad coverage throughout southern Minnesota.
“First District voters deserve a campaign based on a substantive debate of the issues, not attack ads that insult our intelligence,” Hagedorn said. “In 2014, and again this year, it certainly appears Congressman Walz would rather not discuss his record and policies, or have robust public discussions with me and First District families. I hope this isn’t the case,” Hagedorn stated.
# # #
The following are the two debates and one brief forum agreed to by both campaigns:
Monday, October 3, 7:00-8:30 p.m. at South Central College – Sponsored by Greater Mankato Growth/Mankato Free Press & South Central College
Tuesday, October 4, 6:30-7:30 p.m. at Winona City Hall Council Chambers – Sponsored by the League of Women Voters
Wednesday, October 5, 6:30-7:00 p.m. in studio at KAAL TV in Rochester – Sponsored by KAAL TV
The following are debate requests made by sponsoring organizations to which the Hagedorn campaign has agreed to participate and is seeking participation by the Walz campaign:
- Tuesday, September 27 or Tuesday, October 25, time and location to be determined – Sponsored by KWOA Radio and the Worthington Chamber of Commerce
- Thursday, October 20, 7:00-8:00 p.m. time and location to be determined – Sponsored by KTTC TV
- Monday, October 24, 6:30-7:00 and 7:15-8:45 p.m. at Kasson-Mantorville High School Auditorium – Sponsored by KM Telcom, Kasson Chamber of Commerce and KAAL TV
(Note: first half hour televised, the second 90-minute segment open to the public)
- At Issue debate moderated by Tom Hauser and hosted in studio by KSTP TV on date to be determined
- Albert Lea Chamber of Commerce and KATE Radio debate in Albert Lea on date to be determined
- Minnesota Public Radio debate, day, time and location to be determined